I love beets and am always amazed at all the colorful varieties. From the sweet Chioggia, with its red and white stripes (that unfortunately fade when cooking), to a regular dark red variety, I use them to liven up the flavors on my plate.
At the market I always look for beets with their green tops still attached so I can tell they are fresh. Red beets tend to get a bit (just a tiny bit) tougher the longer you store them, but they also get sweeter. I use golden beets when roasting them with other vegetables because they don’t stain the other veggies pink like the red ones often do.
For prepping these nutrition-packed veggies, I’ve found that Cutco’s Hardy Slicer does a great job. The knife’s sharp Double-D® cutting edge easily slices easily through the beetroot allowing me to make a uniform dice, which is essential for even roasting. If you have pieces of varying sizes, you’ll wind up having some beets that are over-cooked and some that are under-cooked.
Fast and Easy Roasted Beet Salad
- 4 fresh medium-sized beets
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 4 to 5 scallions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Feta cheese crumbles
- Fresh thyme leaves for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet and set aside.
- Peel beets and cut into ½-inch dice. Place diced beets in bowl and sprinkle with olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper and toss so that all of the beets are covered.
- Place beets on baking sheet in a single layer and put in oven on middle rack.
- Roast for 20 minutes and stir. Roast another 10 minutes and stir again. Continue to roast another 5 to 10 minutes until beets are tender.
- Place roasted beets in bowl and add scallions. Sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Toss to distribute.
- Top with crumbled feta.
- Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Garnish with fresh thyme leaves (optional).