- 4 fresh medium-sized beets
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 4 to 5 scallions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Feta cheese crumbles
- Fresh thyme leaves for garnish
- Heat oven to 450 F.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet and set aside.
- Peel beets and cut into 1/2-inch dice. Place diced beets in bowl and sprinkle with olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper and toss so that all of the beets are covered.
- Place beets on baking sheet in a single layer and put in oven on middle rack.
- Roast for 20 minutes and stir. Roast another 10 minutes and stir again. Continue to roast another 5 to 10 minutes until beets are tender.
- Place roasted beets in bowl and add scallions. Sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Toss to distribute.
- Top with crumbled feta.
- Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Garnish with fresh thyme leaves (optional).