If you’re looking for a refreshing salad, add this one to your recipe collection. Pineapple and watermelon are perennial summer favorites, so tossing them together in a salad results in a sweet and slightly tart treat.
Chef Keith Glover from Alfred State College’s Culinary Arts program created this grilled salad for us. Grilling the watermelon and pineapple draws out their sweetness and adds a bit of a caramel flavor.
The hints of lemon and mint in the balsamic dressing and the crumbled feta cheese deliver a surprising and delicious taste.
To prep the pineapple, grab a Hardy Slicer and watch Chef Glover’s How to Cut a Fresh Pineapple video. You’ll learn how to easily trim the rind from the fruit. Continue watching if you also want to find out how to cube pineapple for other recipes.
Chef Glover's Grilled Pineapple and Watermelon
For the dressing
- 5 ounces olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 8 fresh mint leaves, cut
For the fruit
- 1 fresh pineapple
- 1 small seedless watermelon
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- For the Dressing: Whisk oil, vinegar, lemon juice and mint leaves together and set aside.
- For the Salad: Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Combine dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Cut the pineapple and watermelon into large slices. Drizzle both sides with 2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill on both sides until there are good grill marks. Chill slices in refrigerator. Cut the chilled fruit into 1-inch pieces.
- Place on four plates, add dressing and toss. Sprinkle with feta cheese, salt and pepper. Garnish with remaining mint leaves.