Golden Roasted Turkey Breast With Orange Zest, Spinach & Sun-Dried Tomato Stuffing
1296 days agoSkip to recipe
Thanksgiving is MY holiday! I have the most family members present at one time so I’m always cook for days, but if your guest list is small or you don’t like to cook a whole turkey I am suggesting another delicious and beautiful option, turkey breast.
This is also a great choice if none of your family or friends enjoy dark meat, or if you need more than one turkey.
The flavors and colors are warm, just like Thanksgiving. The spinach stuffing can also double as a side dish for another protein or is great tossed with pasta for a quick meal.
Spinach, sun-dried tomatoes and mushrooms are the main ingredients for the stuffing.
To clean the mushrooms, don’t fully rinse them in water, instead use a damp towel to brush away the dirt. Mushrooms easily absorb water so, if you want them to brown nicely, avoid soaking them in water.
I liked using Cutco’s Santoku-Style Trimmer to prep the mushrooms. The Double-D® edge on the knife easily slices through their spongy texture.
Calories: 180, calories from fat: 55, total fat: 6.0 g, saturated fat: 1.3 g, trans fat: 0.0 g, cholesterol: 50 mg, sodium: 255 mg, potassium: 660 mg, total carbohydrate: 6 g, dietary fiber: 2 g, sugars: 3 g, protein: 25 g, phosphorus: 230 g.
Reprinted with permission from the American Diabetes Association. Copyright 2013 by the American Diabetes Association
Golden Roasted Turkey Breast with Orange Zest, Spinach and Sun-Dried Tomato Stuffing
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons no-salt-added chicken or vegetable stock (divided)
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 cups packed baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil), chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chiffonade
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1-1 1/4 pounds boneless turkey breast with skin, aka turkey London broil
- In sauté pan, combine olive oil, onion and stock. Cook, stirring over low heat, until onion is tender. This will take about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring until tender and moisture has evaporated, approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook about 1 minute. Add spinach and cook, stirring until wilted, about 1 minute.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes, orange zest, basil and a grinding of fresh black pepper. Remove from heat. Cool.
- Stuff mixture under the skin of turkey breast. Place in roasting pan and pour 1 cup additional stock or wine over turkey breast. Refrigerate until ready to roast.
- Roast in a 375 degrees F convection oven (25-30 minutes) or a 400 degrees F standard oven (40-45 minutes) until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Can be basted with pan juices during roasting. Remove skin before serving.
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat