Impress your dinner guests with this eye-catching Arugula and Sun-Dried Tomato Stuffed Chicken Breast recipe. They’ll never know how easy this restaurant-quality dish is to make. Not only is it simple, it’s delicious and healthy.
Sun-dried tomatoes are one of my favorite ingredients. They add rich, sweet, tart flavor to dishes and, in this case, they pair perfectly with the bite of red onion and peppery flavor of arugula.
Preparing the Ingredients
This recipe calls for pounding down the chicken breasts to an even thickness of about one-half inch. Don’t worry if you don’t have a meat mallet to do this, you can actually use Cutco’s weighty Ice Cream Scoop. Place the chicken breast between two pieces of parchment paper and pound down the meat using the backside of the scoop.
To slice the sun-dried tomatoes, the 5" Petite Santoku is the perfect size. It’s designed for cutting small- to medium-sized foods.
For thinly slicing the red onion, use a longer knife to match the size of the onion. A 7-5/8" Petite Chef knife is the one I like to use.
Something to note. When cutting onions, a sharp knife is essential. The sharp blade will cut cleanly through the cells that release the compound that makes you tear up. A dull blade will crush those cells, releasing more of the irritant. So, the sharper your knife, the less the onions will irritate your eyes.
Stuffing the Chicken
Once all the ingredients are prepped, it’s as easy as layering them on the chicken and rolling it all up.
To secure the rolled, stuffed chicken, use kitchen twine. Cutco’s tutorial, How to Butterfly and Tie a Pork Loin Roast, will walk you through the technique. Have your Super Shears at the ready to cut the twine to size.
Once prepped, it’s a matter of tossing the stuffed chicken on the grill until cooked, to an internal temperature of 165 F.
You can also cook the chicken on the stove. Brown chicken on all sides, add a splash of white wine, white vermouth or chicken stock. Cover and cook 20 to 30 minutes and then serve with the pan sauce.
This Arugula and Sun-Dried Tomato Stuffed Chicken Breast recipe is tasty, healthy and better yet…stress free.
Arugula and Sun-Dried Tomato Stuffed Chicken Breast
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast - see Cook's Tip below
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil) sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 of a 5-ounce bag of arugula
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Kitchen twine
- Pound the chicken breast between 2 sheets of parchment paper to about 1/2" thick. You can use a meat mallet, small sauté pan or try using the back of Cutco’s weighty Ice Cream Scoop.
- Lay the chicken breast flat on the sheet pan.
- Layer your chicken breast with the sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, onion and arugula.
- Roll the chicken breast and tie. Trim the twine with Super Shears.
- Rub the outside of the chicken with salt and pepper and extra-virgin olive oil.
- Place on preheated grill or grill pan. Turn as it cooks to brown all sides.
- Alternative: Cook the chicken on the stove. Brown chicken on all sides. Add a splash of white wine, white vermouth or chicken stock. Cover and cook 20-30 minutes. Serve with the pan sauce.
- Slice into rounds and place on a platter to serve.
Cook’s Tip: Chicken breasts will vary in size but this amount no matter how many breasts, will still serve 3-4 people.