Steak, Broccoli and Peppers Skillet Freezer Meal
425 days agoSkip to recipe
While I enjoy cooking, there are some evenings I want something quick and easy that I can throw together for a delicious meal. That’s not too much to ask, is it? I’ve been looking at freezer meals and researching the different ways you can use fresh ingredients, prep ahead of time and then put together for a meal at a later date. Sounds like a great plan.
Steak, Broccoli and Peppers Skillet Freezer Meal is a prep-ahead version of a stir-fry, just one that you take out of the freezer the night before. It combines beef strips, broccoli, peppers and leeks with a ginger-based sauce and cheese. It’s all frozen so there’s no prep before you cook. That’s an easy meal in my opinion.
Prepping the Freezer Meal
For this recipe, we went with a nice flank steak and used a 6-3/4" Petite Carver to cut it into thin strips.
Once the steak is sliced, season it with salt and pepper, place the strips into a freezer bag, add cornstarch and shake until all the pieces are covered. Removing all air from the bag, seal it and set aside.
Moving onto the vegetables, cut up a head of broccoli into smaller florets and slice some red and green peppers. Rather than use onion, we chose to use the milder flavor of a leek. To prepare it, use a Vegetable Knife to cut the top and bottom off and then thinly slice. Make sure you put the leek slices in a bowl of water to wash off any dirt and debris. If you need more assistance with how to cut leeks, check out our easy tutorial.
When all the vegetables were prepared, we placed them in a gallon-sized freezer bag.
In a medium-sized bowl, combine the garlic, ginger, soy sauce, water and brown sugar. Once the sauce is thoroughly mixed and the sugar dissolved, pour the sauce into a quart-sized freezer bag and seal, removing the air prior to sealing.
For the Gruyere cheese, slice into small cubes using a Cheese Knife and put them into a quart-sized freezer bag, sealing with no air.
Place the sauce and cheese freezer bags into the vegetable bag and seal the bag, ensuring no air remains. Place both the meat and vegetable bags into the freezer to be used when ready to prepare the meal.
Preparing the Meal
Remove the two bags from the freezer, removing the sauce and cheese bags from the vegetables, and thaw overnight in the refrigerator or run warm water over the bags to thaw quicker. Once all the ingredients are thawed, add the oil to a skillet and add the steak, cooking the strips until the edges are browned. Add the vegetables and cook another three to four minutes. Add the sauce and mix the ingredients together, cooking until it thickens slightly. Remove the skillet from the heat and sprinkle with the cheese and parsley. Serve directly from the skillet onto plates with rice.
I loved the ease of cooking this meal from the prepared freezer bags. Steak, Broccoli and Peppers Skillet Freezer Meal is a tasty dinner. The ginger-based sauce combines perfectly with the variety of vegetables and delicious flank steak for a perfect bite every time. It is definitely worth making this dinner again.
Steak, Broccoli and Peppers Skillet Freezer Meal
- 1 1/2 pounds beef (flank steak, sirloin tip side steak), cut into thin strips
- Salt and pepper, for seasoning
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 red peppers, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 large leek, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1/2 cup low-salt soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese, sliced into cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons parsley, chopped
- Rice for serving
- Season the beef with salt and pepper
- Place beef in a gallon-size freezer bag along with the cornstarch and shake the bag until all sides of steak pieces are coated. Seal bag, removing air.
- Place all the cut vegetables into a gallon-size freezer bag.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the garlic, ginger, soy sauce, water and brown sugar. Pour the sauce into a quart-size freezer bag. Seal bag, removing air.
- Place the cubed cheese into a quart-size freezer page. Seal bag, removing the air.
- Place sealed sauce bag into the vegetable bag as well as the sealed cheese bag. Seal the vegetable bag, removing air.
- Place the two gallon-size freezer bags into the freezer.
- When ready to cook the meal, thaw the bags (you can run them under warm water until the ingredients start to break up for a quicker thaw).
- Add the canola oil to the skillet and heat on medium high.
- Add the steak into the skillet, separating the pieces and cooking until the edges are browned (3-4 minutes),
- Add the vegetables from the freezer bag and cook until the vegetables are crisp, yet tender (3-4 minutes).
- Add the sauce from the freezer bag and stir thoroughly into the beef and vegetable mixture. Stir constantly and cook until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Take off the heat and sprinkle with cheese and parsley.
- Serve over rice.