Our son is obsessed with truffles, potatoes and Parmigiana cheese, so this recipe for Smashed Truffle Parmigiana Potatoes Alla Maddalena is his right up his alley. He likes the cheese and potatoes nice and toasted, so smashing them is perfect for getting that desired result.
Quarter the potatoes with Cutco’s Traditional Cheese Knife. Yes, it is a cheese knife, but it is great for cutting potatoes. In fact, we think they should change the name of it to ‘potato knife’ since the sharp Micro Double-D™ edge easily slices them and the holes along the blade prevent the starchy pieces from sticking to it.
Once the potatoes are quartered, they’re boiled for about 15 minutes to make them soft enough to smash.
The remaining six ingredients in the recipe give the potatoes their earthy, umami and cheesy flavor. They are extra-virgin olive oil, black truffle oil, Parmigiana cheese, salt and pepper, Italian seasoning and truffle salt.
Try to buy white truffle salt and oil (rather than black). It is more expensive and we don’t always use it, but the flavor is more subtle and better defined. Note that either truffle salt or truffle seasoning will work for this recipe.
Also, for best results, be sure to use fresh Parmigiana cheese.
Smashing and Cooking
After the potatoes have boiled, the magic of this recipe starts to unfold. Place the cooked, quartered potatoes on a foil-lined sheet pan and smash them with a Potato Masher.
After the other ingredients have been mixed together pour the mixture evenly over the potatoes before placing them in a 375 F oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
To get that crispy finish, place the smashed potatoes under the broiler for five to 10 minutes. Broil on the longer side to allow them to really crisp up, because the crispness is truly the highlight of this dish.
One thing we really like about these Smashed Truffle Parmigiana Potatoes Alla Maddalena is that no matter what we make as the main course, our family always requests these as a side.
Smashed Truffle Parmigiana Potatoes Alla Maddalena
- Water for stock pot (enough to cover potatoes)
- 8 Yukon Gold potatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white or black truffle oil
- 1 cup Parmigiana cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon truffle salt (you can substitute 1 teaspoon of truffle and some regular kosher salt)
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a large pot over high heat, bring water to a boil.
- Add the potatoes and boil for 15 minutes.
- While the potatoes are boiling, in a medium bowl combine the olive oil, truffle oil, shredded Parmigiana cheese, salt and pepper, Italian seasoning and truffle salt then set aside.
- Once the potatoes are softened, drain the potatoes and place them on a foil-lined sheet pan. Smash with a potato masher.
- Pour the oil and cheese mixture evenly over the smashed potatoes.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, and then broil for an additional 5 to 10 minutes to crisp the top.
- Take out when the top is golden and serve.