I’m always looking for easy prep-ahead meals that I can divide into to-go containers and grab for either my lunch or dinner. My Sunday is usually that day I reserve for my cooking and dividing so I’m set up for success throughout the week. That said, the easier the meal prep the better, since there are definitely other things I would prefer to do on my weekend.
I love this Taco Bowl with Couscous, Ground Turkey, Corn and Avocados recipe because I can easily prep the ingredients. It doesn’t take long and if I don’t have something on the ingredient list, I put something else in. Not to mention I make sure I have the essential nutrients that I need. In this case a protein, good carbs, good fats and vegetables. The other reason I love it is that I can eat it cold. There is no need to have a microwave, so it makes lunch or dinner super easy. Definitely a grab and go meal!
The prep part of this meal is so incredibly easy. Brown the ground turkey in some olive oil over medium-high heat and drain any excess fat from the skillet. Then add your favorite taco seasonings. I used a spice blend from Pam Smith, RDN, one of our culinary partners. P.S. Flavor!™ Texy Taco added some wonderful flavors to the ground turkey.
To prep the corn, I made sure the husks and silk were completely removed and then using the 7-5/8" Petite Chef knife, I removed the kernels by cutting straight down between them and cob to remove them and then rotated the ear of corn after each cut until all of the kernels were removed.
Next is preparing the couscous. An important note here – do not following the directions on the couscous container, which will typically advise less water. The excess water is needed to not only cook the couscous, but also to flash cook the corn. After you’ve brought the water and salt to a boil and added the couscous, cook until it is tender.
Place the corn in a strainer and gradually pour the hot couscous cooking liquid over the corn, trying not to pour all of the couscous on top of the corn (although that is not a huge issue if you do, since you’ll be combining all of the ingredients into one bowl).
Prep the rest of your ingredients for the bowl. Drain and rinse the black beans and cut the cherry tomatoes in half. You can also rough chop the parsley at this point.
The last prep step is slicing the avocado. Using a 4" Gourmet Paring Knife, cut the avocado in half and then into quarters (this will make it easier to remove the pit). Remove the flesh from the skin of the avocado and cut into thin slices. A quick tip is to sprinkle some fresh lemon over the avocado so it doesn’t brown.
Put the bowl together, starting with the couscous on the bottom of each bowl and then spread the rest of the ingredients on top. Sprinkle with some parsley and you have a complete meal.
An easy-to-prepare lunch or dinner, this Taco Bowl with Couscous, Ground Turkey, Corn and Avocados recipe is a great meal to add to your rotation. It’s full of flavor, not to mention all of the colors are absolutely beautiful. As they say – we eat with our eyes first so enjoy!
Taco Bowl with Couscous and Ground Turkey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons P.S. Flavor!™ Texy Taco spice blend
- 2 ears corn, husks and silk removed
- 2 quarts water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup pearl (Israeli) couscous
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 lemon
- Parsley, rough chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground turkey and cook thoroughly (4-6 minutes) and crumble the turkey while it cooks. Drain the excess fat from the skillet and add the P.S. Flavor!™ Texy Taco seasoning, stirring until it’s completely incorporated.
- One at a time, using a sharp chef knife, lay an ear of corn on cutting board and cut straight down between the kernels and cob to remove the kernels, rotating the ear after each cut. Repeat with remaining ears of corn and set aside.
- In a medium pan, combine water and salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the couscous, adjust the heat to a simmer, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes until tender.
- Remove the pot from the heat and pour the couscous over the corn, allowing the hot water to drain through the kernels. Drain well and let cool to room temperature.
- Divide the couscous into four bowls. Top each bowl with an equal amount of the ground turkey, corn, black beans, tomatoes and avocado.
- Sprinkle some lemon juice over the avocado to prevent browning.
- Sprinkle each bowl with parsley and serve.