My motto has always been “life is short, eat dessert first.” I admit I have a sweet tooth. I always have and probably always will.
Sometimes you want an all-out decadent dessert – the kind where you don’t want to know how many calories there are. Then there times when you crave something more light and refreshing. This trifle falls under the light and refreshing category.
Made with citrusy oranges and sweet strawberries layered between fluffy lemon whipped cream and crushed shortbread cookies, it is sure to please any family member or guest at your table.
Cutco offers a family of paring knives for your prepping convenience. I used the 4" Gourmet Paring Knife for both the oranges and the strawberries.
How to section an orange
1. Cut the ends off the orange so it stands flat on the cutting board.
2. Using the curve of the orange as a guide cut off the peel and all of the white pith. The pith can be quite bitter so you don’t want any of it in the dessert.
3. Hold the peeled orange in one hand and the knife in the other hand. Carefully run the knife on the right side of a section next to the membrane, and then do the same on the left side. Loosen the section and remove it from the orange.
4. Continue removing the rest of the sections folding empty membranes to one side like pages of a book.
For hulling the strawberries, slice the stem off of each of them or use the pointed tip of the knife to cut around the stem and remove it.
Handy Tip: To crush the shortbread cookies, place them between two towels or parchment paper and use the back of an Ice Cream Scoop to break the cookies up into small pieces.
Be sure to layer the ingredients in a clear bowl or a trifle bowl so everyone can see all the colors and deliciousness of this lovely spring dessert.
Strawberry and Orange Trifle
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, cut in half
- 4 oranges, peeled, sectioned and halved
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1 jar (11.3 ounces) lemon curd
- 1 3/4 cups crushed shortbread cookies
- Toss the strawberries, oranges, orange juice and sugar together in a bowl and let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Beat whipping cream and lemon curd together at low speed until blended. Gradually increase mixer speed and mix until medium peaks form.
- In a large glass bowl or trifle bowl, layer one third of the fruit mixture, then one third of the curd mixture. Top with 3/4 cup of the crushed cookies. Repeat layers; 1/3 fruit mixture, 1/3 curd mixture, 3/4 cup crushed cookies; 1/3 fruit mixture, 1/3 curd mixture, 1/2 cup crushed cookies.
- Cover and chill at least 1 hour or up to 8 hours.