There is no way that it's September already. It has been a wonderful, busy, warm, sunny but too short summer. The transition to fall is beginning. But before that starts, let's celebrate Labor Day with a simple and delicious picnic menu that's easy and pretty much fuss free.
• Pulled chicken sliders with homemade barbecue sauce
• Store-bought coleslaw and dressing for topping the chicken
• Barb's Potato Salad (if you're feeling ambitious)
• Baked beans
• Brownies – store-bought or homemade
• Ice cream with cones or toppings to make sundaes
• Slices of cantaloupe and watermelon
• Anything else that doesn't require a lot or prep
And there you have it, a no fuss picnic. Enjoy!
Slow-Cooker Barbecue Pulled Chicken Sliders
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 4-6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts. If the breasts are quite thick, slice in half, horizontally.
- 1 20-ounce bottle ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Slider rolls
- Coleslaw with dressing
- Mix the onion, pepper and celery together. Put half of the mixture in the bottom of the slow cooker. Add the chicken. Top with remaining onion mix.
- Mix ingredients for the sauce, pour over the chicken and onion mix. Cook on high for 5 to 6 hours or on low 8 to 10 hours. Stir occasionally to incorporate ingredients.
- At the end of cook time, remove chicken from cooker and shred with 2 forks.
- Return to slow cooker and mix with sauce.
- Spoon pulled chicken on slider rolls, top with coleslaw, if desired, and serve.