Looking for a way to dress up your grilled chicken this summer? Wow your family or barbecue guests with this simple and tasty recipe for Grilled Pesto Chicken with Tomatoes.
The pesto and marinated tomatoes add a ton of flavor and are so easy to whip up. Store-bought pesto would probably also work, but making it yourself keeps it fresh and flavorful.
When it comes to grilled chicken, I prefer more savory than sweet. Pesto is the perfect chicken companion and because the tomatoes are mixed with a vinegar, garlic and mustard dressing, it's tangy flavor upon flavor.
For coarsely cutting the tomatoes, use a utility knife, like Cutco’s Trimmer.
Cut the tomatoes in half and then gently remove the seeds using your hands.
Lay the halves flat on a cutting board and dice to bite-size. For chopping the fresh basil, grab a prep knife like a 7-5/8" Petite Chef knife so you can rock the knife over the basil leaves to cut to desired size.
Serve this Grilled Pesto Chicken with Tomatoes alongside a salad loaded with greens and seasonal veggies, and you have a meal screaming summer.
Nutrition info (per serving): 368 calories, 19.5g fat (3.5g sat), 136mg cholesterol, 169mg sodium, 3.4g carbohydrates, 0.7g fiber, 42g protein
Originally published May 16, 2017.
Grilled Pesto Chicken with Tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- Kosher salt and fresh pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (for tomatoes)
- 1-1/2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 heaping teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Ground pepper to taste
- In a food processor, pulse basil, garlic, cheese, salt and pepper until smooth. Slowly add the olive oil while pulsing, until smooth consistency.
- In a plastic bag, marinate chicken, pesto, and 2 tablespoons lemon juice for at least 1 hour.
- Using a utility knife, like the Cutco Trimmer, cut each tomato in half. Gently remove the seeds with your fingers, and coarsely chop and place in a bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, use a whisk to combine the oil, vinegar, garlic, mustard, basil, the remaining 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, 1 teaspoon salt and a generous amount of pepper. Pour this over the tomatoes and combine well.
- Remove the chicken from the pesto, shaking to remove excess marinade, and sprinkle lightly with salt. Grill – turning once until golden on both sides and cooked through.
- Top with marinated tomatoes and serve.