As I’ve mentioned before, I really love to bake and a dessert I particularly like is cheesecake. But, because it is so calorie-laden, I don’t make it very often.
The holidays are the perfect time to splurge and enjoy the rich decadence of this creamy Candyland Holiday Cheesecake. I sometimes use low-fat cream cheese in place of the full-fat version and really don’t notice much of a difference.
Preparing the Cheesecake
This recipe doesn’t use a lot of ingredients. The crust is a basic crumble crust made from crushed chocolate wafers, sugar and melted butter.
The filling just has four ingredients and the only one that requires a little prep-work is the eggs. They are lightly beaten and the Cutco Mix-Stir is the perfect tool for that task.
The cheesecake is baked for one and a half hours. A sour cream and sugar topping is added and then it’s baked another five minutes, until set.
Decorating the Cheesecake
After the cheesecake has cooled and been refrigerated overnight, the fun begins. Decorate the top with things like red and green M&M’s®, Andes® candies, chocolate chips, crushed peppermint candies or chopped peppermint bark.
Drizzle the cheesecake slices with chocolate syrup, serve, and be ready for the compliments to roll in.
This make-ahead cheesecake tastes delicious and is so festive-looking with its toppings of various, colorful candies. Serve it to your guests or offer to bring it to a holiday dinner.
For the crust
- 1 1/4 cups crushed chocolate wafers
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
For the filling
- 4 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
For the topping
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Assorted candies
- Chocolate syrup
- Place an ungreased 9-inch spring form pan on a double thickness of heavy duty foil (about an 18 inch square). Securely wrap foil around the pan.
- Combine the wafer crumbs and sugar in a small bowl. Stir in butter. Press onto bottom and about 1/2 inch up the sides of the pan. Place in freezer for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Add eggs; beat on low speed until just combined. Pour into crust. Place pan in a larger baking pan; add 1 inch of hot water to the larger pan.
- Bake at 325 F for 1 1/2 hours or until center is just set and top appears dull. Combine sour cream and sugar in a small bowl until smooth. Spoon over hot cheesecake and spread to cover. Bake 5 minutes more or until topping is set.
- Remove spring form pan from water bath. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of pan to loosen cheesecake. Cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate overnight. Remove outer ring of pan. Garnish with candies of your choice such as red and green M & Ms, Andes candies, chocolate chips, crushed peppermint candies, chopped peppermint bark. Drizzle with chocolate syrup.