I'm becoming a fan of foil packets. What an easy way to prep, cook and serve a tasty individual, personalized meal to family members or guests.
These Tilapia and Summer Vegetable Foil Packets are very flavorful and can be prepared in the oven or on the grill. Wrapping everything in a foil pouch produces moist, tender fish, lemon-kissed vegetables and a hint of saltiness from the olives and capers. For an extra tang, top the vegetables with a couple of thin slices of lemon before sealing the packets.
Of course, Cutco makes prepping a breeze. Use the 7" Santoku to easily dice the squash and tomatoes, thinly slice the onion and chop the olives and oregano.Stack up a few green beans and use the 3" Gourmet Paring Knife to trim the ends and cut them into pieces. This is a light and tasty way to incorporate more fish and vegetables into your meals.
Tilapia and Summer Vegetable Foil Packets
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup diced summer squash
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup pitted and chopped Kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon capers, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 12-16 fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 tilapia filets
- Heavy duty aluminum foil
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine the tomatoes, squash, red onion, olives, lemon juice, oregano, olive oil, capers, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Place green beans in a microwave safe bowl with 1 tablespoon of water. Cover and cook on high for 30 seconds. Drain and add to the vegetables in the bowl.
- To make the packets: Lay two 20-inch long sheets of foil on top of each other and coat with cooking spray. Place one tilapia filet in the center of the foil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with 3/4 cup of the vegetable mix. Bring the short ends of the foil together. Fold the foil over and pinch to seal, leaving enough room in the packet for the steam to gather and cook the food. Make sure all the seams are tightly sealed to keep the steam from escaping. Repeat the procedure and make 3 more packets.
- Bake the packets directly on an oven rack until the tilapia is cooked through and the vegetables are just tender, about 20 minutes.
- For the grill: Preheat the grill to medium. Combine the tomatoes, squash, onion, green beans (do not microwave), olives, lemon juice, oregano, oil, capers, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Make four packets per the directions.
- Grill the packets until the fish is cooked through and the vegetables are just tender, about 5 minutes. To serve, open both ends carefully and allow the steam to escape. Serve right from the foil packets or use the Slotted Turner to transfer the contents onto plates.