Kay's Sugo (Tomato Sauce)
3045 days agoSkip to recipe
Kay’s Sugo (Tomato Sauce)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup minced onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 28-ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 6-ounce cans tomato paste
- 3 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup sugar (use less if you prefer your sauce less sweet)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup water
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan.
- Add the ground beef, onion and garlic and cook until well-browned.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, sugar and parsley.
- Simmer, covered for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally. If the sauce gets too thick add a little more water.