Can you really get enough of soup during the winter months? I say no. So coming up with different soup recipes that keep you warm, full and satisfied has become a bit of a mission for our group of cooks. Sometimes the best soups are those that are created with what you have in the pantry, while others take a bit more planning.
My checklist for a good soup is one that has a robust flavor, includes a good protein, some starch and also some vegetables. Essentially a complete meal. This Italian Sausage, Red Potato and Kale Soup checks all my boxes, especially with using Italian sausage for an extra boost of seasoning. I’m also a big fan of putting kale in soup because it is a hearty leafy green that doesn’t become mushy. There is nothing worse than mushy vegetables in my humble opinion. The bonus to this recipe is that the list of ingredients is short and includes common items, so it’s easy to make on a weeknight.
Prepping the Ingredients
Start the prep work by finely chopping the onion with a 7-5/8″ Petite Chef.
Using a 7″ Santoku knife, cut the red potatoes into half-inch cubes.
Tear the kale off the main stem and into pieces using your hands. As an alternative, you can use the Super Shears to cut the kale off the stem and into pieces.
Making the Soup
Cook the sausage and onion with olive oil in a large pot, like Cutco’s 6.3 Qt. Dutch Oven Bottom, over medium heat, breaking up the sausage as it’s cooked. Drain the pan of the fat once the sausage is completely cooked (no longer pink) and leave the sausage and onion in the pan.
Keeping the heat at medium, stir in the garlic, pepper and oregano to the sausage mixture. Add the potatoes, milk and half-and-half and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Add the torn kale and continue simmering for approximately 10 minutes.
Optional: While the soup is simmering, mix the cornstarch and water in a small bowl until no lumps remain. Once the kale is tender, add the cornstarch mixture to the soup and return to a boil and cook for an additional one to two minutes or until the soup is thickened, stirring constantly.
Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.
This is so simple, yet so tasty with the addition of Italian sausage and spices. Italian Sausage, Red Potato and Kale Soup will be a hearty meal any night of the week!
Italian Sausage, Red Potato and Kale Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 3 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups fresh kale, torn into bite size pieces
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (optional)
- 1/4 cup cold water (optional)
- In a large pot, like Cutco’s 6.3 Qt. Dutch Oven Bottom, over medium heat, add olive oil and cook sausage and onion for approximately 4-6 minutes. While cooking, break up the sausage into crumbles. Sausage is done when it’s no longer pink. Drain and leave the sausage in the saucepan.
- Stir in garlic, pepper and oregano. Add potatoes, milk and half-and-half and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for approximately 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add the torn kale and cook for another 10 minutes or until the kale is tender.
- Optional (if you like a thicker soup): In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch and water until smooth and stir into soup. Return the soup to a boil and cook another 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly and until the soup is thickened.