Typically, when my family comes over for the holidays, I want an easy breakfast that will hold people over until a late afternoon meal. So I need something with protein that will feed a crowd. I've done numerous egg bakes, but for a family gathering I want something a little more festive for the table.
This Crescent Roll Egg Bake recipe is the perfect solution. It combines eggs, ham, peppers and cheese, all wrapped up in a light and fluffy giant crescent roll. It looks beautiful coming out of the oven and slices easily to serve to your guests.
A helpful hint for this recipe is to find the refrigerated crescent dough sheets. You should find them right next to the crescent roll tubes. The difference is one tube is an entire sheet of crescent dough, so you don't have to take the time sealing the seams of the individual crescent rolls.
Tools for Making the Egg Bake
The Cutco Trimmer is the right size knife for cubing the slices of deli ham. I just stacked the ham, sliced it into strips and the cut it into cubes.
For the red and green pepper, the sharp 5” Petite Santoku worked perfectly for chopping them to a uniform size.
Once the eggs were cooked until set, I scooped the mixture onto the crescent roll dough with the Basting Spoon and then used the Pizza Cutter to cut the dough into strips for braiding. When it's ready to serve, the Slice n' Serve will do the trick with its sharp cutting edge and wide blade.
The light and fluffy dough complimented the heartier egg mixture and was a big hit in the kitchen. This is a beautiful dish for a family gathering or just a simple weekend meal.
Crescent Roll Egg Bake
- 2 tubes (8 ounces each) refrigerated crescent dough sheet
- 4 ounces thin slice deli ham, diced
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg, separated
- 7 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/4 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons green onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Unroll each tube of crescent dough, place next to each other with the long sides touching on a baking sheet. Seal the seam. (If you can’t find crescent dough sheet, you can use refrigerated crescent rolls. You’ll simply need to seal all the seams and perforations). Arrange the ham lengthwise down the center third of the rectangle.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and milk. Separate one egg; set the egg white aside. Add the egg yolk and the remaining eggs, salt and pepper to the cream cheese mixture and mix well. Add the green and red peppers as well as the green onion.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter and add the egg mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until just set (it should not be runny). Remove from the heat and spoon the scrambled egg mixture over the ham. Sprinkle with cheese.
- On each side of the dough, using a Pizza Cutter or Paring Knife, cut 1-inch-wide strips to the center within 1/2 inch of the filling. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at a slight angle across the filling and seal. Pinch the ends to seal and tuck under. Beat the reserved egg white and brush over the dough.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes or until golden brown.