Chicken Soup with Chive Dumplings
6-7 servingsBack to recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped mild sweet onion
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a 4-5 quart Dutch oven. Cut chicken breasts into 1/2 inch pieces. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brown chicken in hot oil. Reduce heat to medium, cover pan and cook for 7-9 minutes. Remove chicken from pan.
- Add carrots, celery and onion to pan. Cook, covered, for 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are tender; stirring occasionally.
- Return chicken to pan. Add broth, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 15 minutes.
- For dumplings, stir together flour, chives, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. A Potato Masher works well for this. Stir in milk just until combined.
- Remove and discard the thyme and bay leaf from soup. Stir in the parsley and season with additional salt and pepper, if needed. Bring mixture to a boil and drop dumpling dough by spoonful onto the boiling soup. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook covered about another 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the dumplings comes out clean.