- 1 whole head of garlic (10-12 large cloves), chopped (3 tablespoons)
- 2 medium or one large sweet or Spanish onion, halved and sliced in 1/8th-inch thick half-moons (3 cups sliced)
- 1 tablespoon P.S. Flavor!™ Creole Kitchen, or your favorite Creole seasoning
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled, halved, and sliced in 1/8th inch thin half moons
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes (about 8), partially peeled, halved and sliced into 1/8" thin halves
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Parmesan
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Gruyere or smoked Gouda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups lower sodium chicken stock or beef broth
- Porcini Pepper Crusted Standing Rib Roast (optional, see recipe)
- Heat to 400 F convection or 425 F traditional.
- Mix together garlic and onion in a large casserole dish. Season with Creole seasoning, and massage together to begin to release some of the “juice” from the onions and garlic.
- Add potatoes, half of each of the cheeses and salt. Mix well to incorporate onions, garlic, and seasoning. Reserve remaining cheese for topping.
- Press down the potato mixture and add 1 cup of the stock around the edges of the casserole. Repeat 2 more times, pressing the potato mixture down to compact each time.
- Cover with foil; place in oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, remove foil and top with remaining cheese.
- If serving with Porcini Pepper Crusted Standing Rib Roast, place potatoes under the rack of the standing rib roast to allow the meat drippings to flavor the potatoes and roast for another ½ hour. Otherwise, just roast the boulangère for the additional 30 minutes, uncovered.
- Remove potatoes from the oven and serve.