Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Sticks
16 ServingsBack to recipe
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 3 28-ounce cans whole peeled tomatoes (preferably San Marzano)
- 1 32-ounce container chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3-4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (optional)
- Fresh basil leaves (optional)
Grilled Cheese Sticks
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- A small amount of fresh minced parsley
- 16 slices sandwich bread
- 2 cups shredded cheese (Cheddar or a mix of different cheeses)
For the Homemade Tomato Soup:
- Heat oil, butter and pepper flakes in a Dutch Oven over medium heat until butter melts. Add carrots and onion, cook until softened, 8-10 minutes. Add garlic and dried basil, cook and stir 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes, chicken stock, tomato paste, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20-25 minutes.
- Taste and add more sugar, salt and pepper if necessary.
- Remove from heat and puree in a blender. (To avoid splattering when blending hot soup, fill blender a little less than half way, remove the lid insert and cover with a towel while blending.)
- If adding cream, return soup to heat and slowly stir in the cream. Cook until heated through, do not boil.
- Ladle into bowls, top with fresh basil.
- Serve with grilled cheese sticks.
For the Grilled Cheese Sticks:
- Mix the mayo, garlic and parsley in a small bowl.
- If desired, cut the crust off the bread slices.
- Lightly spread 8 slices of bread with the mayo mix. Place mayo side down on a griddle. Sprinkle on the cheese.
- Lightly spread the other 8 slices of bread with the mayo mix and place on top of the cheese (mayo side up).
- Grill until the underside of the sandwiches are golden, flip with the Slotted Turner and grill the other side until golden. Press sandwiches with the turner to flatten a little.
- Remove from griddle and cut into 4 sticks using the Pizza Cutter.