- 1 fennel bulb
- Olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon capers
- Fresh basil
- Grated Parmesan cheese to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Trim and quarter fennel, leaving the bottom intact to hold pieces together. Place in small roasting pan, coat with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for approximately 20 to 30 minutes until fennel is soft with some browning.
- Meanwhile, in sauce pan sweat onion in olive oil for 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook on low heat for a few more minutes until onions and garlic are cooked but not brown. Add tomatoes and capers and let stew for 10 minutes.
- After fennel has cooked, add tomato mixture to the fennel and place back in the oven for another 20 to 30 minutes
- For serving, sprinkle with cheese and fresh basil