Herbed Bread Stuffing
Serving Size 1/2 cup, 10 ServingsBack to recipe
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large apple, diced
- 1-2 teaspoons poultry seasoning, such as Bell's or McCormick
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- Large loaf of day-old bread, cubed (1 bag unseasoned stuffing cubes)
- 1/2 cup fresh herbs, such as Italian parsley, thyme, sage, or chives, chopped (a combination of your favorite herbs will also work well)
- Place olive oil in large sauté pan. Add celery and onion and sauté until softened, approximately 3-5 minutes. Add apple and poultry seasoning. Toss well. Add stock and simmer 2-3 minutes. Add bread cubes and fresh herbs and toss well. Set aside to cool before stuffing poultry or pork.
- You can also bake this stuffing in an ovenproof casserole dish rather than stuffing the bird. Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes. If you want crispy stuffing, bake uncovered. If you like a softer stuffing, you will want to cover.
Use 1 cup dried fruit such as cranberries or apricots, sun-dried tomatoes, or chestnuts in place of the apple.
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat