Ham and Potato Chowder
Serves 6-8Back to recipe
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3/4 cup diced carrots (about 2)
- 3/4 cup diced celery (about 2 stalks)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 8 ounces ham, diced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, carrots and celery and cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables soften and onions are translucent, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in corn and thyme, cook 1 – 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the milk and cook whisking constantly until slightly thickened, 1 – 2 minutes. Stir in potatoes.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, 12-15 minutes. Stir in ham and salt and pepper. If chowder is too thick, add more milk as needed.