- 6 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 pound mascarpone cheese (room temperature)
- 2 1/2 cups espresso coffee - cooled, divided
- 1 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons Frangelico
- 2 packages (7 ounces each) lady fingers
- Baking cocoa for dusting
- Dark chocolate for chocolate shavings
- In a large bowl beat egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale (about 5 – 7 minutes). Add room temperature mascarpone cheese and beat until smooth. Add 1 tablespoon of espresso and mix gently.
- In a medium bowl, beat whipping cream and vanilla on high speed until stiff. Gently fold into the mascarpone cheese mixture.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites on high speed, adding the sugar gradually until you have glossy stiff peaks. Gently fold into the mascarpone cheese mixture.
- Mix remaining espresso and Frangelico in a shallow dish.
- Dip each lady finger into the espresso mixture (don’t over soak) and place the lady finger onto the bottom of a 13x9 baking dish.
- Spread 1/2 of the mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers. Arrange another layer of lady fingers and then top with the remaining mascarpone mixture.
- Dust with cocoa and chocolate shavings.
- Refrigerate 2 – 8 hours before serving.