Creamed Corn with Basil
4-6 ServingsBack to recipe
- 8 large ears corn, husked
- 2 to 4 tablespoons 1% milk
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon P.S. Flavor!™ Creole Kitchen seasoning, or kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
- One at a time, using a sharp chef knife, lay an ear of corn on cutting board and cut straight down between the kernels and cob to remove the kernels, rotating the ear after each cut. Repeat with remaining ears of corn, and set aside.
- Scrape the back of the knife several times against each cob to extract remaining corn pulp, scraping into a large glass measuring cup. (You should have at least 3/4 cup of corn pulp. If not, add milk to make 3/4 cup.) Transfer pulp to a blender and purée with 2 tablespoons milk until smooth.
- Cook shallot in olive oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in corn, then add corn pulp and Creole Kitchen. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until kernels are just tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in basil to taste.