Chicken Soup with Mushrooms and Rice
8 ServingsBack to recipe
- 5 pounds of bone-in chicken parts
- 12 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups wild rice blend
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Place the chicken and chicken stock in a large stockpot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30-45 minutes. Periodically skim off any foam that rises to the top.
- Remove chicken from the pot and let cool. Remove skin and pick meat off the bones, shred and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until starting to brown. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking, stirring often until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring about 1 minute more.
- Stir in the stock, scraping up any brown bits. Add rice, carrot, celery, salt and pepper. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until rice is tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, parsley, thyme and shredded chicken. Cook until the mushrooms are tender, 5 to 8 minutes.