Easy Cheese Fondue with Assorted Dippers
- French baguette, cubed and lightly toasted or any kind of rustic, hardy bread
- 12 fingerling potatoes cut in half or 12 1-inch baby potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus some for drizzling on potatoes
- 2 cups steamed broccoli florets
- 2 cups steamed cauliflower florets
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed, tips reserved
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 cup half and half
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup grated Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 clove of garlic, smashed
- 1 package fully cooked smoked sausage, sliced into rounds
- 2 tablespoon fresh chives, snipped
Preheat oven to 400º.
Place cubed bread on a large sheet pan and lightly toast.
Place the potatoes in a large skillet or saucepan. Cover the potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Salt the water and simmer the potatoes 10-12 minutes, just until tender. Drain and return to warm pot to dry the potatoes. Drizzle potatoes with a little oil so they don’t discolor and to make the skins shine.
Fill another skillet or saucepan with 2 inches of water. Cover and bring to a boil. Salt the water, replace the cover and reduce the heat to a simmer. Add the broccoli and cook, covered, about 3 minutes. Remove the broccoli with a slotted spoon and place on a plate. Add the cauliflower to the water and cook, covered, 3-4 minutes. Remove the cauliflower with a slotted spoon and place on another plate. Add asparagus tips, cook, covered, about 2 minutes. Remove from pan and place on a plate.
Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a heavy saucepan and heat. Add the shallots and sauté for 2 or 3 minutes. Add the half and half and reduce the heat to low. Cut the cream cheese into 1 inch slices and add to the pot one at a time, allowing them to melt into the half and half. Add the Parmesan and Gruyere or Swiss cheese and stir until the cheese is melted. Stir in the lemon juice, season with nutmeg and black pepper.
Rub the inside of a fondue pot with the smashed garlic. Transfer the fondue to the pot.
Arrange the dippers on a large serving platter. Sprinkle the potatoes with the chives. Use fondue forks or bamboo skewers for dipping.
If sauce thickens, add half and half a little at a time to thin.