Cauliflower "Steaks" Milanese
2 ServingsBack to recipe
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley, plus more for serving
- 3/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
For the vinaigrette & salad:
- 2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups loosely packed baby greens, mesclun or herb salad mix
- 1 cup (approx.) cherry tomatoes, halved
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Remove leaves and trim stem end of cauliflower, leaving core intact. Place cauliflower core-side down on a work surface. Using a large knife, slice in the center from top to bottom to yield 2 (1-inch) "steaks"; reserve remaining cauliflower for another use.
- Place cauliflower on a rimmed baking sheet. Brush both sides with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast on middle rack until cauliflower is tender when pierced with a fork and brown at edges, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together mayonnaise and mustard in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together panko, parsley and lemon zest.
- Prepare the salad dressing: Whisk together the vinegar, mustard, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. Whisk in oil. Set aside.
- Remove baking sheet from oven. Spread mayonnaise mixture over cauliflower. Sprinkle 1/4 cup panko mixture evenly over each cauliflower “steak.” Return sheet to oven and continue to roast until panko topping starts to brown, 5–7 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, toss together greens and tomatoes; add just enough salad dressing to coat.
- Place cauliflower on plate. Top with salad. Serve immediately.