6 - 8 ServingsBack to recipe
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces and chilled
- 2/3 cup ice water
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon orange zest
- 3 large apples (McIntosh, Empire, Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, Fuji, Galas)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Additional sugar for sprinkling
- To make the dough: Mix flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Cut in the chilled butter using 2 Table Knives until the butter is evenly distributed but you can still see pieces of the butter.
- Add the ice water all at once. Using your hands, mix the dough just until it begins to come together.
- Turn the dough out on a floured board and shape it into two disks. Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- To make the dish: Preheat oven to 400°F. Mix the flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon and allspice together in a small bowl. Add the butter, mashing with a fork until the mixture is crumbly. Add the orange zest.
- Peel, core and slice the apples. In a large bowl, toss the apples with the flour, spice and orange zest mixture.
- On a lightly floured surface and using a floured rolling pin, roll one pastry disk into an 11 inch circle. Suggestion: the pastry can also be rolled out on parchment paper. If rolled on parchment, transfer paper with the rolled out dough to the baking sheet and proceed with the rest of the recipe.
- Spoon apple mix onto the pastry, leaving a 1 1/2 inch border. Gently fold the border over the apples, pleating to make a circle. Brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 30 – 40 minutes, until the crust is golden and the apples are tender. Allow to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.