- 2 pounds zucchini or yellow squash, cut into 1/8" thick slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 teaspoons low sodium taco seasoning, divided
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken tenderloins, cooked and shredded
- 28 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 large jalapeņo, minced
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more for zucchini
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 16 ounces ricotta
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- Feta cheese for topping
- Optional: basil for garnish
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- Place sliced zucchini and/or yellow squash on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. Set aside for at least 30 minutes to allow the moisture to be drawn out from the squash.
- Mix olive oil with 1 teaspoon of taco seasoning. Heat large skillet on medium heat. Coat chicken in olive oil mixture and cook for about 10 minutes or until cooked thoroughly. Transfer to cutting board and using 2 forks, shred the chicken and set aside.
- Mix together the tomato sauce, the remaining 2 teaspoons of taco seasoning, minced jalapeño, honey, ground coriander, garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl and set aside.
- Using paper towels, pat dry zucchini/yellow squash layers to ensure you have absorbed as much moisture as possible.
- In a 9 x 13 baking dish, spread a few tablespoons of the tomato sauce mixture on the bottom of the pan.
- Place 1/3 of sliced zucchini/yellow squash in the baking dish to create a single layer. Spread 1/3 of the ricotta cheese over the zucchini/squash layer. Top with 1/3 of shredded chicken. Add spinach. Start again with the tomato sauce and repeat these layers for a total of three times. Finish with a bit of tomato sauce drizzled on top and sprinkle with feta cheese.
- Bake covered with aluminum foil for 30 minutes. Uncover, and bake for another 20 minutes. Sprinkle the basil on top and let stand for 20 minutes before slicing. Serve hot.