- 6-8 plum tomatoes, peeled and diced or one 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes (unseasoned)
- 2 red chili peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 3 teaspoons or fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Dice the tomatoes, keeping only the flesh and reserving any juice. If using canned tomatoes, drain and reserve approximately 1/4 of the juice.
- Place the chopped red chili pepper, shallots, ginger and garlic into a food processor, blending until a smooth paste if formed.
- Put the paste, along with the sugar, vinegar, caraway seeds and any reserved tomato juice into a sauce pan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat and simmer until the mixture is reduced by a third. Add the tomatoes, stir and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the mixture on low heat for approximately 1 to 1 1/2 hours (stirring occasionally) – until the chutney is thick.
- Allow the chutney to cool before serving.
- Place the chutney in a glass jar in the fridge for up to 1 month.