- 12 ounces Spanish chorizo, sliced into coins on the bias
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons sundried tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- Pinch saffron threads, optional
- 1-1/2 pounds medium-sized raw shrimp, peeled and deveined with no tail
- 10-ounce package frozen sweet peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Over medium heat, heat a large nonstick skillet. Add the chorizo and cook until the sausage is browned, stirring so it’s evenly cooked for approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove the sausage from the skillet with a slotted spoon and place on a plate with paper towels to drain the excess fat and grease from the sausage.
- Do not drain the skillet. Add the onion and pepper to the skillet, cooking over medium heat until the vegetables are slightly softened, around 4 minutes.
- Add the rice and garlic, stirring the mixture for 1 minute, allowing the rice to toast.
- Add the wine and mix ingredients together, stirring for 1 minute.
- Remove the skillet from heat and pour the mixture into the slow cooker. Stir in the stock, sundried tomatoes, diced tomatoes, salt, smoked paprika, saffron threads and cooked chorizo.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for approximately 3 hours, until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. Note: Slow cookers are different so make sure to check the mixture often.
- Remove the cover and add the shrimp and peas, stirring to incorporate into the mixture. Cover and cook (on high) for 10 to 15 minutes. When the shrimp is pink, it is done.
- Serve on a plate with some fresh oregano sprinkled on top and lemon wedges.