For the meatloaf:
- 1 pounds lean ground beef (90% works best)
- 1 cup panko
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the topping:
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, add the beef, panko, red onion, milk, egg, 2 tablespoons ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, salt, garlic powder and pepper. It is very important that these are mixed, so use your hands to mix ingredients together until well combined. Really well combined.
- Put the meat mixture in a loaf pan and pat the meat down so that it is level and in an even layer.
- To make the topping, mix the 1/4 cup ketchup with the brown sugar and vinegar. Whisk to combine. Pour mixture over the top of the uncooked meatloaf in an even layer.
- Bake uncovered for 55 minutes.
- In order for the meatloaf to cut nicely, let it rest for 8-10 minutes before serving.