4-6 ServingsBack to recipe
- 1 large pineapple, peeled, quartered, and cored
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped, pod reserved
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- Whipped cream or ice cream for serving, if desired
- Cut each pineapple quarter lengthwise in half and then slice crosswise into pieces about 1/2 -inch thick by 1 1/2 inches long.
- In a large sauté pan, combine brown and white sugars, vanilla seeds and pod, and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add pineapple and cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture begins to thicken, about 3 minutes. Add rum, and simmer until pineapple has softened and almost all the liquid has evaporated, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly in pan. Discard vanilla pod. Serve warm with a dollop of whipped cream or over ice cream.