Philly Cheesesteak Soup
- 1 1/2 pounds sirloin steak, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 10.5-ounce can beef consomme
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried oregano, paprika, ground cumin
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, plus more for garnishing
- 1 cup shredded provolone, plus more for garnishing
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnishing
- Fresh parsley, finely minced
- 1 baguette cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon each garlic powder, paprika, and salt
- Finely shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
For the soup:
- While meat is still on the cutting board, toss with the salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add beef and cook undisturbed for about 2 minutes or until seared on one side. Stir and continue to cook until beef is browned but not cooked through. Remove to a plate.
- Using the same pan, melt butter in 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions, mushrooms and carrots. Sauté for 3 minutes. Add green and poblano peppers, cook and stir for 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Sprinkle in the flour, cook, stirring constantly for 3 minutes.
- Turn heat to low, slowly stir in chicken broth. In a separate bowl, whisk the cornstarch into the beef consommé and then add to the soup. Add the rest of the herbs and spices.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring often until thick. Add the steak, cover, reduce heat and simmer gently for 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the Cheddar, provolone and Parmesan cheeses. Add salt and pepper to taste.
For the croutons:
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss bread cubes with olive oil. Sprinkle with spices and toss until evenly coated. Spread in an even layer on a baking sheet. If using, sprinkle with Cheddar cheese. Bake for 7-10 minutes or until golden brown.
Hollow out small bread bowls. Ladle soup into bread bowls. Top with croutons and then a slice of provolone cheese. Place under broiler and broil until cheese is melted and lightly browned.
Ladle soup into bowls. Top with croutons and sprinkle with shredded Cheddar, provolone, grated Parmesan and fresh parsley.