- Butter for baking dish
- 4 cups peaches, peeled and sliced
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoon granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted cold butter, diced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Butter an 8x11 (2-quart) baking dish and arrange peaches in bottom.
- Mix together sugar, lemon juice and zest and almond extract.
- Sprinkle mixture on peaches.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, 1 tablespoon sugar and salt together into bowl. Cut in cold diced butter until mixture resembles cornmeal.
- Combine beaten egg and milk in a small bowl and add to dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- When peaches are done baking, slide out on oven rack and quickly drop large spoonfuls of dough mixture over the top of the cobbler and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Return to 400 degree F oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until top is firm and golden brown.