Pasta Fagioli Soup
49 days agoSkip to recipe
Soups make a wonderful meal, they are full of flavor while also being warm and hearty. I love to create new variations and combine different ingredients, but sometimes you can’t argue with a classic that you know everyone will love.
Pasta Fagioli Soup is that classic recipe that really hits the spot on a cold winter night. The combination of Italian turkey sausage, beans, tomatoes, pasta and spinach fills you up with every spoonful, yet doesn’t leave you too full to have another bowl. I also find that having some hearty bread on hand for dipping into this soup is a good option and really makes the meal complete.
Prepping the Ingredients
Chop the yellow onion using a 9-1/4″ French Chef knife. For a tutorial on how best to cut an onion, check out our how-to video.
Using a 7″ Santoku, mince the garlic.
Making the Soup
To make the soup, use a large pot over medium heat and cook the Italian sausage until it’s no longer pink. Drain the drippings, remove the sausage and set aside. Add the olive oil to the pot and again, over medium heat, sauté the onion until tender. Add the garlic and cook for one additional minute.
Add the water, broth, beans, tomatoes, pasta, Italian spice blend, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for approximately eight to 10 minutes or until the pasta is al dente. Reduce the heat to low and add the previously cooked sausage and fresh spinach. Cook over low heat until the spinach is just wilted.
Using a Ladle, scoop the soup into large bowls, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve.
Did we mention that this soup is easy to make? Pasta Fagioli Soup comes together in no time with little prep and will make any meal perfect!
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups water
- 32 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15 1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup uncooked Ditalini pasta
- 2 teaspoons Italian spice blend
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves, rough chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Over medium heat, in a 6.3 Qt. Dutch Oven Bottom, cook the sausage, breaking it into pieces, until it’s no longer pink. Drain, remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the oil and sauté the onion over medium heat until tender. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the water, broth, beans, tomatoes, pasta, Italian spice blend, salt and pepper and bring the mixture to a boil. Cook, uncovered, until the pasta is al dente, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, stir in the cooked sausage and spinach. Cook until the spinach is just wilted.
- Serve and garnish with cheese.