Mustard Potatoes Au Gratin
- 1/3 finely chopped green onions
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Gruyere cheese, divided
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons of mustard seed
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a small saucepan, cook onions in 1 tablespoon of butter for two minutes or until tender. Stir in the cream, mustard and remaining butter, add salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low; stir in half of the cheese until melted. Remove from the heat. In a greased shallow 2-1/2 quart baking dish, layer a third of the potatoes; top with a third of the sauce. Repeat layers twice; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Top with mustard seed.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Cover and bake 25-30 minute longer or until potatoes are tender. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.