Lentil Autumn Vegetable Soup
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 1 red or yellow pepper, seeded
- 1 jalapeño pepper, stemmed and seeded
- 1 small zucchini
- 1/2 medium eggplant
- 1/2 large red onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons P.S. Flavor!™ Texy Taco (or your favorite taco seasoning)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of Chipotle Puree* or 2 chipotles, seeded and chopped
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 12 ounces red or brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- Juice of one lime
- Rustic Ranch Crema**, for garnish
- Fresh cilantro sprigs, jalapeño slices, and grated cheddar cheese, for garnish
- Rustic bread bowls for serving or cornbread slices
- Finely chop mushrooms, peppers, zucchini, eggplant and onion.
- Add olive oil to a large pot and heat over medium high heat. Add chopped vegetables and sauté until softened and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add Texy Taco and garlic and sauté for an additional 30 seconds, and then deglaze the pot with the red wine vinegar. Add chipotle puree and tomatoes and sauté for another minute.
- Add lentils and stock, and simmer for 35-40 minutes. Stir in fresh chopped cilantro and lime juice before serving.
- When ready to serve, spoon into bread bowls or a soup bowl and top with fresh cilantro sprigs and additional jalapeño, shredded cheese, and a dollop of Rustic Ranch Crema, if desired.
*Chipotle Puree: Puree 1 can of chipotles in adobo sauce till smooth. Store in glass jar in the refrigerator.
** Rustic Ranch Crema: Whisk together 1 tablespoon P.S. Flavor!™ Rustic Ranch (or your favorite ranch spice mix) with 1/2 cup light sour cream.