Irish Cabbage and Sausage Stew
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound Italian mild sausage, ground or links that are cut into pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 medium celery stalks, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 small head green cabbage, chopped (approximately 7 cups)
- In a large stockpot, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and cook the sausage, onion and garlic over medium heat until the meat is cooked, 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the carrots, celery, and remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt, pepper, coriander and allspice. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, but not mushy. Approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato puree and white wine vinegar and cook uncovered for 5 minutes until everything is heated evenly, making sure to stir occasionally.
- Blanch the chopped cabbage and add to the stew, stirring to blend all the ingredients together.
- Serve this stew as is or over rice or large noodles.