- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon red curry powder
- 1 large onion, diced
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper (stemmed, seeded), diced
- 1 1/2 cups rinsed red lentils
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups coconut milk
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook cumin, turmeric and curry powder until fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add onion with a few pinches salt and cook, stirring, until tender, about 6 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, until tender, about 2 minutes. Add sweet potatoes and bell pepper and cook 1 minute.
- Add lentils, vegetable broth and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until lentils are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Top with cilantro before serving.