- Loaf of French bread
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, cut in half
- 6 or 7 tomatoes, diced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar (could substitute red wine vinegar)
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat broiler.
- To toast the bread: Cut bread on an angle in 1/2-inch slices and place on baking sheet with sides. Place baking sheet under the broiler on the top rack until lightly toasted. Watch carefully. Remove pan and turn over slices once they are lightly browned around the edge. Return to oven and remove when second side is lightly browned.
- Lightly rub fresh garlic piece over one side of bread. Set bread aside.
- To make the bruschetta: Place tomatoes in a medium bowl. Mix in minced garlic, olive oil, vinegar, basil, and salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until serving time.
- To serve, spoon bruschetta mixture on top of toasted bread.