8 ServingsBack to recipe
- Large loaf of Italian bread (sliced into 4 cups of cubes)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup finely shredded Romano cheese divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 pounds medium tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick*
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a 9x13 or a 3-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Slice bread into 1-inch cubes with a sharp bread knife.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add bread, sprinkle with Italian seasoning and cook, stirring occasionally until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes.
- Move the bread to a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix the cream, 1/4 cup of the cheese, basil, garlic, red wine vinegar and salt and pepper. Pour over the bread cubes and mix gently. Spread the mixture in the baking dish. Layer the tomatoes on top, alternating colors, and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake until golden brown and crispy on top, 40 to 45 minutes. Garnish with additional basil if desired. *Heirloom tomatoes are recommended for the gratin but if they are not available use any type of red, yellow and orange tomatoes.