- 4 cups small cauliflower florets
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons PS Flavor!? Creole Kitchen spice blend or other Creole seasoning, or kosher salt and black pepper, to taste, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 ounces whole wheat pasta (fusilli or reginetti pasta)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 quart 1% or 2% milk
- 1 cup fresh whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 6 ounces Gruyère cheese, shredded (1 1/2 cups), divided
- Fresh herbs, or microgreens, optional garnish
- Place a 3-quart baking dish into the oven; heat to 375 F
- Toss the cauliflower with 1 teaspoon olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning. Transfer the cauliflower to the prepared baking dish and spread in an even layer. Roast until lightly golden brown.
- Meanwhile, bring a large part of water to boil. Add 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and then add the pasta and cook until al dente, 9-10 minutes. Drain well and toss with a 1/2 teaspoon olive oil.
- In a large saucepan, heat remaining olive oil over moderate heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Stir in the remaining Creole seasoning and then gradually stir in the milk beginning with a 1/4 cup and stirring till smooth and then slowly whisk in the remaining milk until smooth. Bring the sauce to a light boil over medium high heat, then reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 12-15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the ricotta. Stir in the pasta, then 1 cup of the Gruyère and season with additional Creole Kitchen and kosher salt, if needed.
- Spread the pasta and cheese mixture over the cauliflower and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the baking dish from the oven and preheat the broiler. Sprinkle remaining Gruyère on top and broil 8 inches from the heat until the top browns, about 2-4 minutes. Garnish with fresh herbs or microgreens if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!