Caramelized Cinnamon Roasted Butternut Squash
4-5 ServingsBack to recipe
- 1 large (about 3 pounds) butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt (for table salt use only ¾ teaspoon)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- Position oven racks in the upper and lower thirds and heat to 400 F.
- Generously coat two baking sheets with nonstick spray or canola oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, place the squash cubes and drizzle with the olive oil and maple syrup.
- In a small bowl mix together the salt, cinnamon, and pepper. Sprinkle this mix over the cubed butternut and toss to coat. Divide the prepared squash equally between the two baking sheets, but do not use any of the excess liquid that collects at the bottom of the bowl.
- Spread the cubes in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets, making sure there is ample space between the cubes of squash so they can caramelize.
- Place the pans in the oven on the upper and lower third shelves. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove the pans from the oven, turn the cubes with tongs or a spatula, and then return pans to oven, switching the pans’ positions on the upper and lower racks. Continue baking until the squash is tender, about 10 to 15 additional minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the rosemary over the top. Serve warm.