Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
4 ServingsBack to recipe
- 8 slices (1/2-inch thick) sourdough bread
- 1/4 cup jarred basil pesto
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Place a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 250 F.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Spread pesto on one side of each slice of bread. Distribute the mozzarella over 4 of the pesto bread slices, top with tomatoes. Top with the remaining 4 slices of bread, pesto side down.
- Brush the olive oil on the outsides of the sandwiches. Place two of the sandwiches in the skillet, cheese-side down. Cook until toasted and golden brown. Use a spatula to gently press down the sandwiches. Flip and cook the second side until toasted and golden brown. Remove sandwiches from the skillet and place on a baking sheet. Repeat with the other 2 sandwiches.
- Once all 4 sandwiches are on the baking sheet, transfer the pan to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve immediately.