- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1 pound cooked applewood smoked bacon, chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons butter
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Freshly grated pecorino cheese
- Olive oil, drizzle
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup dried sour cherries, chopped
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until just al dente. Drain the pasta and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the bacon and cook until brown and crispy. Remove the bacon to a plate and cover with a paper towel.
- In the same skillet, keep 2 tablespoons of bacon grease in the pan (drain the rest) and add the shallot, cooking until softened.
- Add the Brussels sprouts, lemon juice, butter and black pepper and cook the sprouts until they just start to soften.
- Chop the cooked bacon and add the bacon and pasta to the Brussels sprouts and toss ingredients together.
- Place in a bowl and sprinkle the pasta mixture with pecorino cheese, a drizzle of olive oil, pine nuts and dried cherries. Toss and serve.