Baked Potato Soup
8 ServingsBack to recipe
- 4 baking potatoes (preferably russet)
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups 2% reduced fat milk
- 2 cups reduced fat shredded extra sharp cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 12 bacon slices, chopped, cooked until crisp, divided
- 1/2 cup snipped green onions, green part only*
- Heat oven to 400 F. Pierce potatoes with a fork, bake for 1 hour or until tender.
- Let cool, then peel the potatoes and coarsely mash them.
- Spoon flour into measuring cup, level with knife. Place flour in a large Dutch oven; gradually add milk, stirring with a Mix-Stir until blended. Cook over medium heat, until thick and bubbly (about 8 minutes). Add mashed potatoes, 1 cup cheese, salt and pepper. Stir until cheese melts. Remove from heat.
- Stir in sour cream, chopped green onions and half of the bacon. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated through. Do not boil.
- This soup is quite thick. Add more milk, a little at a time, if you prefer a thinner soup.
- Ladle into bowls. Garnish each bowl equally with remainder of cheese, snipped green onions and remaining bacon.
TIP: Use the Super Shears to snip the green onions