All Year Pasta Primavera
- 10 ounces uncooked penne pasta
- Salt to season the pasta water
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, cut into quarter-inch slices
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced into matchsticks
- 2 cups broccoli florets, cut into quarters
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced into quarter-inch slices
- 1 small yellow squash, sliced into half moons
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced into half moons
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup (heaping) grape tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup pasta water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Can add sauteed shrimp or grilled chicken
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water according to package directions. Before draining pasta reserve about 1/2 cup of the pasta water (this is in case you need to thin the primavera later).
- Heat the oil in large, deep skillet (12-inch is good) over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add red onion and carrot. Sauté for 2 minutes, stirring as necessary. Add the broccoli and bell peppers to the pan. Sauté for 2 minutes, stirring as necessary. Add the squash and zucchini to the pan and again, sauté for 2-3 minutes or until the vegetables have almost softened.
- Add minced garlic, tomatoes and Italian seasoning, and sauté 2 minutes longer.
- Be careful not to overcook the vegetables.
- Place veggies into a large serving bowl, add drained pasta and gently mix. If pasta is sticking together add some of the reserved pasta water as needed. Drizzle lemon juice over pasta and add half of the Parmesan and toss to gently to mix. Finish by sprinkling the remaining Parmesan and parsley.
- Serve warm.